Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My Rosalie McFall

I'm almost ready to finally be jumping in to the newly formed Grateful Dead of late 1965. The last two shows I listened to were the final two I have of Jerry's bluegrass days. The first was a short bit from a Black Mountain Boys show at the Boar's Head sometime in 1964. The other was named as a Wildwood Boys show, again from an unknown date in 1964.

Black Mountain Boys
Boar's Head, Palo Alto CA
Date Unknown, 1964

Setlist:

1. Two Little Boys
2. Banter
3. Salty Dog Blues
4. Banter
5. Rosalie McFall

This show is short and nothing from the first two tunes stood out tremendously. Rosalie McFall, to end the tape, was awesome. Jerry took the lead vocal, and it was very, very nice. Jerry's voice really was made for singing bluegrass, the style of which were the models for Workingman's and American Beauty. I took particular notice of this song because Jerry would continue singing it for the rest of his career.

The Wildwood Boys
Unknown Venue
Uknown Date, 1964

Setlist:

1. Introductions
2. Jerry's Breakdown
3. Banter
4. Standing In The Need of a Prayer
5. Tuning
6. Muleskinner Blues
7. Unenjoyment Banter
8. Satisfied With My Gal
9. Introduction of Pigpen
10. The Rub (Pigpen vocals)

When I saw this setlist, I was psyched to see that Pigpen was featured. This is the first time listening that we've come across another founding member of the Dead.

This tape, however, was absolutely mislabeled. The first six tracks, through "Muleskinner Blues", is not from this show, but rather is part of the February Wildwood Boys show. Also, the "Satisfied With My Gal" tune sounded as though it was a tune from Mother McCree's, not the Wildwood Boys. The playing of a kazoo, an instrument of jug bands, seems to me to be a telltale sign. The Pigpen tune, however, could be from a Wildwood Boys show of 64. I just really believe that it was not played with the other tunes included on this tape.

But all the same, we have Pigpen!!!

Up Next: Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions from July of '64!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment