Sunday, October 2, 2011

Two Black Mountain Boys for the Price of One!

This morning I was able to listen to a couple of Black Mountain Boys shows from March of 1964. The tapes are from back to back days, March 6 and 7. I thought it appropriate to listen to both in one sitting. I know I've been starting out this project on a torrid pace, with a show pretty much every day. I attribute that to the fact that I'm psyched that I'm finally listening to all the Dead I have in such a cool fashion, as well as the fact that the shows I've been listening to so far have been quite short. As we get into '67 and '68, I expect that the rate at which I post will decrease. But heck, there's a ton more music to listen to!

Anyways, to the shows.

The Black Mountain Boys
Top of the Tangent, Palo Alto CA
3/6/64

Jerry Garcia (banjo), Eric Thompson (guitar), David Nelson (mandolin), Jim Beemis (bass)


Setlist:
1. Instrumental
2. Katie Mine
3. Introductions
4. Homestead On The Farm
5. Banter
6. Bare Foot Nellie
7. Banter
8. She's More to be Pitied than Scolded
9. Tuning
10. They Can Lock Up Me for Loving
11. The Hand of the Lord
12. Banter
13. Who'll Sing for Me
14. Darling Aller Lee

I'm really digging the tapes of these shows. The band is similar to the Wildwood Boys in sound. Thompson, however, adds something great on guitar. My first thought when listening was "god damn, Jerry is fast." But listening to Thompson on guitar, he just keeps up the pace. Just as fast, and it sounds awesome. I wish I could find a couple of the tunes hosted online. If anyone knows of a way to stream MP3s on this site, please let me know, and I'll put up a couple tunes. I'll add that listening to the banjo is a great way to relax. Just sit and listen. The sound is an enjoyable one. I'm real glad I'm getting to listen to this, and am excited about 1973 when Old in the Way comes along! Now the second show...

The Black Mountain Boys
Top of the Tangent, Palo Alto CA
3/7/64

Setlist: (partial)
01 Happy Birthday
02 ??
03 Darling Aller Lee
04 Tuning
05 Ocean of Diamonds

I wasn't able to get into this show as much as the previous one. It is much shorter as it is only a 4 song partial.

Like always, if you'd like a copy of either show, or certain songs, please e-mail me!
Also let me know if I am missing something!!!

Coming up: A private banjo lesson by Jerry Garcia, possibly at Dana Morgan's music store

1 comment:

  1. The soon-to-be released album "Before The Dead" has several Black Mountain Boys tracks. The tracks from 3/6/64 are a different concert from that on the tape above. See www.whitegum.com/predead.htm and www.whitegum.com/livedate/beforede.htm. Lots of other interesting stuff, including tracks by Asphalt Mountain Boys that I've never seen before.

    ReplyDelete