Saturday, September 16, 2017

9/16/66 - Grateful Dead Live at the Avalon Ballroom


09/16/66
Avalon Ballroom - San Francisco, CA
Set 1:
I Know You Rider
It Hurts Me Too
It's All Over Now Baby Blue
Dancin' In The Streets
Midnight Hour
Good Morning Little School Girl
Lindy
Stealin'*
The Same Thing*

 *date from a show other than the previous songs

The Grateful Dead show at the Avalon Ballroom played on September 16, 1966 is one of the most important 1966 shows in terms of its historical implications. The set-list and available audio, however, is not as clear cut as the importance of the date itself. The audio provided for this post is still in debate as to when it truly dates. Some contend that based on Jerry's playing and overall tightness of the band, it more aptly belongs to the late December Avalon shows of 12/23 and 12/24. Deadbase 50 notes that although the actual set-list and date is open to question, the Avalon as a venue is correct. For the sake of my audio history, however, I have chosen to leave the available recording as 9/16/66 simply because this date is where the audio has been placed for nearly 50 years. I'm not one enough in the know to change it. Until definitive evidence is uncovered that can accurately pinpoint when this was played, it'll stay at 9/16/66.  Regardless, the music posted for this date is a must-listen for all Deadheads.

Historically, the show slated for the Avalon Ballroom on September 16 was the first show for which the Skull & Roses artwork was used in conjunction with the Grateful Dead. Artists Stanley Mouse and Alton Kelly based their poster creation on Edmund Joseph Sullivan's illustration for "The Rubaiyat of Omar Kayyam" (1859). The show poster (pictured above) is certainly a work of art in itself. It seems fitting to be able to put some music to the actual show that coincides with the Skull & Roses initiation into the Dead's circle.

The songs attributed to 9/16/66 have long been in circulation, and have even been publish. They circulate primarily because they were released as two bootleg albums by Sunflower Records, and MGM subsidiary. Those records, Vintage Dead and Historic Dead have long been favorites in the Dead community. Vintage Dead was released by MGM in October of 1970, followed by Historic Dead in June of 1971. They provide excellent and clear copies of the Dead at their '66 best. I feel as though we are lucky to have had these bootlegs made, helping preserve a unique time in the Dead's history where there is a dearth of available recordings.


One listen to this show, and the terms "Vintage Dead," and "Historic Dead" seem very apt! This truly is 1966 at its best. Having taken a long break from 1966 material, my first impression on this show was how youthful the Dead sound, particularly Garcia. Pigpen, who is clearly the leader of the band at this point, comes through strong on this recording as well.

There were several points in the recording that stand out to me. In the first tune, "I Know You Rider," Jerry is simply flying. His playing is crisp and super-quick. One can literally feel the exuberance and energy flowing through his left hand as he rips his solo to shreds. It's also interesting to note that the "headlight" verse is sung in this song, as opposed to earlier 66 versions, but is also sung by the entire band rather than Jerry only."Baby Blue" is another excellent tune here. I was again caught by the pristine recording, which captures the texture of Jerry's youthful voice.

It should be noted that the Midnight Hour here clocked in at a little over 18:30. Pigpen sounds great. This tune demonstrates the fact that Pigpen was in fact the showstopper and band leader in 1966. Although it's easy to hear the budding star in Garcia, the Pigpen recordings on this tape take the blue ribbon.

"Stealin'" and "The Same Thing" are almost certainly from a date other than the other songs presented in this recording. The audio input is clearly different starting with "Stealin'." The Matrix show of 11/29 has been mentioned as a possible placement for these tunes. Regardless, they were clearly used as filler for Historic Dead.

If you want to hear crisp audio from 1966, please give this a whirl!
https://archive.org/details/gd1966-09-16.sbd.davenport.95970.flac16



I should also note that I am hoping to get this blog back and running regularly. I am doing my best to reorganize the notations I've made in the literature that allows me to scaffold the meaning and events behind each show I encounter. I feel I provide value in doing so. It takes time, however. I am also working at organizing and cataloging all of my Garcia material as well as early band interviews. Please have patience as I try and resurrect my lost blog from the ashes.

I would also love more people to leave comments to keep me going and provide more insight into the shows I review. Please comment and leave your own reviews. Correct my reports and critique my writing.







No comments:

Post a Comment