Saturday, November 19, 2011

Grateful Dead at unknown; xx/xx/66

Grateful Dead, 1966 by Herb Greene



Grateful Dead
??/??/66
venue unknown

Track List:
1. She's On The Road Again
2. Next Time You See Me
3. I Know You Rider
4. Hey Little One
5. Cold Rain & Snow
6. King Bee >
7. Caution
8. Stealin'//


This show comes courtesy of Grateful Dead Hour #557. As David Gans states at the end of the recording, the location and date of the show are unknown, though certainly from 1966. Because of the uncertainty, I decided to put it smack in the middle of my '66 playlist. Because of a lack of information, I cannot report on any importance on the songs captured here.
Like many of the '66 IK-Riders so far in '66, the Dead are singing a lyric not present in versions as early as 1970. Instead of Jerry's "Headlight" verse, the band here sings,
"I drink muddy water, sleep in a hollow log,
I drink muddy water, sleep in a hollow log,
Than stay here in 'frisco, be treated like a dog."
Another thing I've really started to get into is the song "Caution." When listening to these early shows, I find myself looking for that slice of extra energy that is often associated with shows of this era. To me that means loud, fast, jammed rock. "Caution" definitely fits that conception. In this recording it is nestled kindly with King Bee. The slow Blues riffs of King Bee juxtapose perfectly with the exploding quick beat of Caution. I know there are more jammed out versions of the song out there. Trying to put myself in this unknown hall back in '66, I can hear the energy that would have flown while listening to this tune.

For a copy of the show, feel free to send me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment