Friday, November 16, 2012

Grateful Dead at Fillmore Auditorium; 66/07/01

Show poster from early July 1966.

Grateful Dead
7/01/66 ???
Venue unknown; possibly the Fillmore Auditorium

Tracklist:
1. Cold Rain & Snow
2. It's All Over Now Baby Blue
3. Cream Puff War
4. I'm a King Bee
5. Stealin'
6. Dancin' In the Streets//


I'm back!!! To those of you who actually read this thing, sorry that I've been gone for the past year. I've been busy to say the least. Organization, though, has finally found its neat little head into my life once again, so I'm ready to go!

The next installment on our path likes on July 1st, 1966. Or at least Archive.org would like us to say so. A partial show for this day appears under their list of '66 shows. Because of that I included it in my playlist.

Of course, we try and do our homework around here. The Dead's website does not list any show for this date. I found the same thing on the setlist program. With some digging, I also found a poster from the shows held at the Fillmore Auditorium during the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd or July in 1966 (shown above). If you take a quick look, you'll see that the Dead are on the bill for the July 3rd portion of the series (the next show I'll listen to), and clearly do not appear under the July 1st heading. Further,  7/3/66 is provided as the band's first performance of "Dancin' In the Streets." Yet it's the last song recorded on this tape. From listening it also doesn't sound like their first go at it either.

If not from July 1st, when is this snippet from? A commenter  on archive.org suggest that this part of the show from July 17th, only a different recording of it.  When I get there, I'll certainly see if I can tell.  Does anyone care to weigh in on an approximate date in 1966 where this show is from?

Regardless of the exact date, this is a really nice recording. The sound is an A, with clear vocals and strong instruments. The improvement on the groups' communication is starting to come through on some of these songs. After the lyrics in Cream Puff, King Bee, and Dancin' the boys start in on what I'd consider to be a Dead-like jam. They're not spacey by any means, but the chords and notes start to extend away from those typical of their songs. During Cream Puff War it almost seems like they are trying to transition into another song. Phil shows up great, and really drives them into a good place.
Dancin' (probably not the first version) is pretty fun just listening to a young Bob Weir sing. He clearly needs to work on his voice, but you get the typical Weir spunk nonetheless.  God their young!

Go take a listen over on archive! Shed some light on it for us!
http://archive.org/details/gd66-07-01.sbd.vernon.19924.sbeok.shnf

And guys, I'm back for good this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment